Wednesday, April 4, 2012

American Idol: Who Killed tonight?

Skylar Laine
Yes, Skylar came back from behind and gave a killer performance on Wednesday's American Idol competition. This girl is a powerhouse, but she wasn't the only great performer tonight. As usual with this talented group, it's very hard to do a power list. But I know who was the worst.

8. Hollie Cavanaugh tried much too hard. Despite having a truly great voice, there is something essentially false and essentially cold about her delivery. That was clear in her duet with Deandre Brackensick. She was good - better than in her solo, but she could not generate a bit of heat between herself and her partner. They were the only pair that didn't hug at the end.

7. Elise Testone  is uneven.Tonight she seemed tired. A sleepy ballad wasn't her best choice. I hope Hollie goes home, but I think Elise is in danger.

6. I don't like to give such a low number to Andre Brackensick, but he doesn't get much love from the AI recappers crowd. Some say he is gimmicky. I say he is unique. I thought he was great tonight, showing off his mellow lower register. But the consensus is that he won't make the finals, and I have to agree. Going first didn't help.

5. Joshua Ledet is fabulously talented, but like Hollie he has problems. He ended his song with a scream that looked like vomiting and was out of place. He tends to go over the top. His duet with Jessica Sanchez was unbelievably great though, and I LOVED his suit. The judges are pimping him.

Here is where I break down the distinctions because the remaining performers were all so great. Phillip Phillips gave his usual great performance. I do wish he would change things up a little though. Jessica Sanchez does try to change her style of song and it always works for her because she is scarily great. Colton Dixon did not blow me away totally tonight, but I noticed an androgynous David Bowie quality in him that I think will serve him well. He is delicately built and from that perspective did not pair up well with Skylar Laine in the duet. And what can I say about Skylar? She killed.

No comments: