Wednesday, April 18, 2012

American Idol: 7 to 6 Part 2

After last week's dramatic elimination of Jessica Sanchez I had to get online tonight and VOTE. I love this girl. Like Randy, I think that she is so talented that it is otherworldly. But you know what? She's only sixteen years old. Maybe it's better for her to delay the start of her career. Extraordinary talent exposed too young, like Etta James for example, can lead to destruction. Now I want her to stay, but maybe it won't be so terrible if she does get eliminated before the end. I have mixed feelings.

I tried to be objective this week and graded each performance. Of course the grades followed my prejudices somewhat, but I did try. Each performer gets 2 grades because each gave 2 performances.

Straight As for Phillip Phillips. His Usher song was so unique - a kind of reggae vibe - and Wait Till the midnight Hour so exciting!

Jessica Sanchez A/B+. Falling was so mature and soulful. Try a Little Tenderness slightly oversung.

Joshua Ledet B+/A. I Believe was overdone, but I noticed that Joshua's voice reminds me of chocolate - sweet and smooth. A Change is Gonna come is one of the greatest songs of all time, perfectly done.

Skylar Laine B+/B+. How can you resist that energy?

Elise Testone B+/B. Elise is the most Janis Joplin-like singer ever to come to American Idol. I loved her soulful version of No One.

Colton Dixon B/B+. Loved the girl band in the Lady Gaga number. Sometimes there is something conceited and creepy about Colton. It showed tonight.

Hollie Cavanaugh B-/C. I just can't like her. The judges gave her a lot of compliments though. Since I was so sure that she'd be going home last week, I suppose she won't even be in the bottom three tomorrow. I'm still predicting an off for either Hollie or Elise. Who else could it be? Sklyar? Joshua?

At this point I am predicting Phillip for the win. I don't think a girl can win this thing.

Don't forget to VOTE in our contest. Ballot box at the AV desk. We have great prizes this year.


No comments: