Thursday, May 5, 2011

In it to win it: Five to Four


According to Randy, this is the week that separates the serious contenders from the wimps. Who is "In it to win it"? Each contestant sang two songs - one current number and one classic. I would say that the scores were close; even Jacob did a decent job on his second song of the night.

Here is how I grade the contenders (in performance order):

James Durbin: B & A- total = B+. This was James weakest showing for me. His first song seemed shouty. His second was good, but his lack of emotional control graded him down a half point. At end James said, "Every single week I leave everything on this stage." I believe him and think (and hope) that's why, despite last night's weak performance, he can win.

Jacob Lusk: C & B+ total = B-. Jacob's first performance was kind of a shipwreck. His second was much better,but still too much cry face. Everyone, not just me, has been predicting his AI demise for weeks. I can't see him staying past this week.

Lauren Alaina: A & B+ total = A-. Her first performance was almost perfect. She still seems a little jerky in her movements and not totally confident, even though she tried to project confidence. I graded her down in her her second performance because I just don't like her that much. And the song was too old for her. But good job overall.

Scotty McCreery: A & A- total = A-. Near perfect. He rocked the first song showing range and personality. The second song was beautiful (as Steven might say), but I graded it down for its lack of range. A contender.

Haley Reinhart: A & A total = A. Surprise! Haley was the best of the night. Why the judges beat her up on the first song, I can't imagine. What they hear must be very different from what comes over the TV. The second song was a great choice, and she did it better than Siobhan Magnus last season.

Well, is Jacob going home this week? Vote in our elimination contest and let me know.

No comments: