Wednesday, March 14, 2012

American Idol: Shame on Jermaine

As many of you know by now, baritone Jermaine Jones, the 13th contestant, was kicked to the curb by American Idol for lying about a previous arrest record and concealing that he has four outstanding warrants. Here are more details on this dramatic story. Jermaine is pictured above. I find these photos interesting in that they show him looking tough and just a bit thugish, contradicting his clean living country boy image on the show.

In other drama, Phillip Phillips had surgery for kidney stones during the week, Colton Dixon had dinner with Chris Daughtry, and Joshua Ledet ate a mess of crayfish.

The performances this week slipped in general, through there were some outstanding contributions most notably by Joshua Ledet. Here is my personal power list for this week. This reflects a combination of my opinion and how I think the voting will fall.

11   Sharon Magrane: her costume styling was way too old for her, she sounded whiny and weak, and she has no singing style. I can't stand her.

10   Elise Testone: overly mannered performance with a forced vibrato; she pushed too hard. I wouldn't be surprised if she goes home.

9    Heejun Han: his schtick is getting old, his performance was meh.

8    Jessica Sanchez was disappointing this week. She sounded a little shouty and, as Randy and others pointed out, her rhythm was off. However, I don't think she or Deandre are in danger.

7    Deandre Brackensick: I loved his performance, but the judges didn't seem to. He is comfortable on stage and very cute. I think he'll get some girl votes this week.

6    Hollie Cavanaugh: This girl is immensely talented, but I don't like her. She sings with confidence, but somehow she reminds me of a scared mouse. I don't like the irrelevant Celine Dion style of singing either. She also lacks charm.

5    Skylar Laine is one of my favorites, but her performance this week was not that entertaining for me. The judges however, loved her.

4    Erika Van Pelt: I love her. I'd put her at number one, but she'll likely be in the bottom three. The judges suggested that she oversang this week, but last time they criticized her for undersinging. I think she always gets it just right. And she looked fantastic.

3   Colton Dixon: What can I say. I always love the rockers.

2    Phillip Phillips: Not bad for kidney stones.

1    Joshua Ledet killed.

Here is a link to the LA Times recap.

No comments: