Wednesday, March 21, 2012

American Idol: Billy Joel Night

Well American Idol fans, tonight the youths competing on the show had to sing the songs of an American icon who is in grandpa range. Deandre Brackensick doesn't even know who Christie Brinkley is. But it was alright. There were some good and outstanding performances, and my personal power list has slid around some. Plus I got goosies!

10.   Now that Shannon Magrane is gone, I am campaigning for the removal of Hollie Cavanaugh. First off, she has horrible taste.  From her consultation with Tommy Hilfiger it emerged that she is the one that insists on sequins and other sparkly grandma clothes. She is 18 trying to look 45. What? The judges dissed her performance this week.

9.    Joshua Ledet killed last week, but he is starting to wear on me. He has the cry-face. Like Hollie, he is talented but just not likeable or fresh in his musical approach. The judges said he wasn't believable.

8.    This is killing me, but Skylar Laine  is also beginning to pall. She over sang, and what was with that diaper she was wearing? Tommy Hilfiger wanted her to keep doing what she was doing style-wise, and she did the opposite. I think she got good advice and should have followed it.

7.    This kills me even more, but, although I loved her hair, I don't think Erika Van Pelt was at her best.   The judges loved her, but I think she over sang. She started out sounding intimate and jazzy. She made me wish that I was seeing her in a small club. Then she went to the power notes. I think she is in danger this week, since she has been making a poor showing in votes and at her jazzy best she isn't the type for young Idol fans.

6.    I thought Deandre Brackensick was as adorable and entertaining as ever, but his performance, though wonderfully peppy, was not that memorable.

5.    Heejun Han was one of the most entertaining performers of the evening. One of the recappers thought that he was making a droll postmodern commentary on the show, and that could be right. It especially seemed so in his wardrobe choice. He may be a little bit of a genius.

4.    Elise Testone  is undoubtedly this year's Haley Reinhart. The judges decided not to give her the Haley diss and gave her a standing O this week. And she was that good.

3. - 2.- 1.   I can't rank the rest of the performers. I loved them all so much. I especially loved Phillip Phillips aggression and refusal to give in to image control. And Diddy made a very stupid comment about the guitar being a crutch. Philip knows, and we know, that that isn't the case for him.  Jessica Sanchez is a channel for something beyond the earth.  She is unbelievable. This week she reminded me of Aretha Franklin. Where does that come from? And I  fell  deeply in love with polished, intense Colton Dixon. That's when I got the goosies. Here are your three finalists.

No comments: