Wednesday, May 9, 2012

American Idol: Toward the Final Three



Yes American Idol Fans. He killed. Again. Joshua carries the thrill factor of American Idol in being the artist who comes from behind and rises to the top. If this weren't a cuteness and popularity contest, Joshua would be the winner of season 11. Not that Joshua isn't cute and not that Phillip isn't a great singer. The alt rock boy will always have a piece of my heart. Phillip will win this season. But Joshua better come in second.

Wait. What about the phenom that is Jessica Sanchez? I put her in the final three of course, but I think Joshua deserves second place more because he is older and therefore more ready for a full time career. He has become an assured, polished, and accomplished performer. Jessica has a scary amount of poise and polish for her age, but she can stand to ripen a bit. She was great tonight. I especially liked her Etta James song. I love hard, blusey R & B. Jessica is like Etta in that she will become mistress of many genres: jazz, blues, R&B. Jessica's performance reminded me that Etta was only 15 when she organized and led her first singing group.

That leaves Hollie and her wooden performance of a beautiful Bonnie Raitt classic. Play the Bonnie Raitt video you'll find below and you'll see what I mean. And I'm not even a Bonnie Raitt fan, but she puts Hollie to shame. I'm getting tired of predicting that Hollie will leave, but this has to be her week to go home.

Of course we may get an unpleasant surprise like last week when we lost the wonderful Skylar Laine. I'll tell you how you voted on that one as well as on this week's elimination on Friday when I post the results of the Niles Library Elimination contest.

No comments: