Thursday, May 17, 2012

America Idol: The Final Three Perform



I am here to report that Phillip Phillips just won American Idol. Yes, I know the finale is a week away, but Phil Phil is the 2012 American Idol and that's that.

This week I watched the performance show on Thursday morning instead of Wednesday night. I think being less tired helped me to appreciate what I was seeing. I also think that this may be the most talented, entertaining, and all around outstanding final three in the history of the show.

Joshua Ledet has turned into a star right before my eyes. I love everything about him, but his body movements kill me. He has his own style, but he is like a restrained, cool, laid back version of Jackie Wilson. And to me, classic R&B never gets old. This is his strength. But will this go over with young AI voters? By the way, I liked his version of Imagine better than John Lennon's.

Unlike Josh, Jessica Sanchez has not been getting stronger with each show. She is undeniably mega-talented and will eventually grow up to be an incredible combination of Mariah Carey and the late great Etta James. But she is too young to step up the way Josh has. Besides her youth she has the girl thing going against her. Perhaps it's not fair that the majority of AI voters are girls and women tending to fall for the cute boy. But I think it's more than that. In general, male voices are better than female. Sorry for the way that sounds, but I think it's true. A girl singer has to really have something special to beat out a boy. Jessica is special, but not ripe yet. I pick Jessica for the elimination this week.

I can't say much about Phillip Philips because I'm all choked up. He ended the show with a quietly sexy performance of We've got Tonight that brought tears to my eyes. And that wasn't even his best performance of the night. That would be Beggin. His hometown visit had tears running down my face. He is totally himself at all times, totally unpretentious and natural, and a musical genius. Because of his uniqueness, it's Phillip for the win. Below is the YouTube of his Bob Seger rendition.

No comments: