Thursday, March 17, 2011

Top Twelve Power Rankings


Despite the judges jubilation, I found this week's performances generally uncompelling. In order of strength:

1. Stefano Langone: He reminds me of those old-fashioned Italian crooners like Tony Bennett, Frank Sinatra, Dean Martin, but with a modern twist. AI voters won't be able to resist his adorableness. This season's Kris Allen.

2. James Durbin must have benefited from stylists' advice this week. And his voice really rang out. Too poppy Steven? Really? Aerosmith calling Bon Jovi poppy?

3. Casey Abrams: Not his best performance, but nice try; loved the electric bass. He should pull back on the aggressiveness. His cute parent's interview couldn't have hurt him.

4. Scotty McCreery: Reached a little vocally this week, with success. Elvis? You could have worse influences. Do non-country next time.

5. Pia Toscano: I dislike this personality deprived princess with the ugly clothes, but I know she has her fans. Boring performance as usual. And why doesn't anyone point out how screamy she gets on the loud, high notes?

6. Haley Reinhart: She should probably come later in the list, but I can't help it. I think she is perhaps the most innovative and versatile performer this season, and I hope that America will respond. I don't get the judges' dislike. Haley is this season's Katie Stevens in that regard. I thought that Katie gave better defined performances; maybe Jennifer is onto something in noting Haley's bodily discomfort, but Haley has undeniable talent.

7. Paul McDonald sang one of my favorite songs and did OK, but I can't stand to look at him move. I don't see him as more than an early favorite.

8. Lauren Alaina was much better than last week, but I don't think her immature personality is ready for prime time. Plus her dad scared me.

9. Jacob Lusk: The Lusky stank? That's too big an opening. Jacob is this year's Shiobhan Magnus, starting off strong, but kind of a one-note pony. I liked his momma's impromptu singing and did not appreciate his disrespecting her vocal chops.

10. Thia Megia: Technically good, but oh so boring. Looked lovely.

11. Naima Adedapo gave the worst performance of the night, ruining a really great song. If she doesn't go home, she'll definitely make the bottom three.

12. Karen Rodriquez had the worst hair ever, highlighting her princessy personna. Her performance was much better than last week's, but was it good enough to save her boring self?





No comments: