Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Eleven to Nine


Big week. Two people go home tomorrow with no possibility of a save. So they all sang their hearts out, especially Casey Abrams whose dramatic elimination and save last week will go down in American Idol history. Oh dear. How do the power rankings look now?

1. James Durbin: He still goes high on the list. Great job on a great song (Saturday Night's All Right for Fighting), perfect choice, incredible use of stage. He is the best of all the contestants at moving and, obviously, using the stage.

2. Lauren Alaina redeemed herself for sure. She took a sappy song (Candle in the Wind) and sang it as well as it can be sung. I don't like her style (either in dress or song) and her personality irritates me. But her talent is undeniable and I think she has popular appeal. If she can hold herself together (a big if) she could win. And then I'll be mad like when Taylor Hicks won.

3. Casey Abrams: He's Baaaack!!! Romantic, restrained, beautiful job on a beautiful song. He pushed it just enough.

4. Haley Reinhart: Fabulous! Hands down the most entertaining performance of the night (along with James). If she gets voted off I might have to stop watching.

5. Scotty McCreery: Yes he's one note, but there's just something about him. And he does change it up enough to remain interesting. I wouldn't be shocked (or sorry) to see him in the top three.

6. Pia Toscano was better than last week. She showed some restraint but still screeched on the high, loud notes. And what was with the melisma? So 2008. But I guess some people like Celine Dion, and although she isn't one, I guess some people might think so and vote for her. But I don't see her winning.

7. Jacob Lusk did a good job of reigning in his lusky stank for the most part. But when he gets that sobbing look on his face he looks crazy. Talented but, like Pia, not top three material.

8. Stefano Langone did much better than last week was was as adorable as ever. The editors did him dirty however by showing his rehearsal struggle to evaluate the words he was singing. I think he is a talented instinctive singer with a beautiful voice, but the intellect might be lacking. But great song choice and great job.

9. Paul McDonald: I don't know dawg, but I just wasn't feeling it. For me it was a little boring. I agree with Jennifer that he was holding back, but I'm not sure he has it in him. I was disappointed by the way he sang my all time favorite song, Rocket Man.

10. & 11. Thia Megia & Naima Adedapo: Bye ladies. Naima I'll miss you a lot; Thia not at all. Thia, come back in ten years.





6.

No comments: