Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Top 6 Compete - First Contest Week

Well, who is going home this week? You have until Thursday at 6:00 PM to cast your vote for a weekly prize in our American Idol elimination contest. Remember, those with the most right picks at the end are eligible for an ipod shuffle!

My power list, with some shifts this week:

1. James Durbin: My notes say "phenomenal" and "perfect". I love this guy, and I didn't think much of him during Hollywood week. As I aways say to whoever will listen, I love American Idol because it is as much about character as talent. You never know who will seize their opportunity, fight off the insecurities that everyone has, grow each week, and emerge as a star. James is it.

2. Scotty McCreery: That said, I think Scotty is more likely to win American Idol with James as a close second. Everyone loves him, even someone like me who hates country music. Unless you're from the Boomer generation, you can't know what an iconic song Scotty picked, reminding us of James Taylor's wonderful performance. But Scotty put his own spin on it, showcasing his vocal range and narrow versatility at the same time. I loved this performance.

3. Casey Abrams: Gave a solid, imaginative performance with not too many scary faces. He could possible replace Lauren in the top three.

4. Jacob Lusk gave what I think is his best performance to date. He was upbeat and jazzy, and not over the top. I'm not sure it will be enough to save him though.

5. Haley Reinhart: There is something drastically wrong with her phrasing. Her performances tend to be strange. I often like her, but I don't think she did justice to this song. She lacked the rhythm and flow needed to perform a Carole King song well.

6. Lauren Alaina: I've been trying to like her, but I just don't. She is proving to be a weak performer, the opposite of James. She butchered this song with her frenetic movements and choppy singing.

No comments: