Tuesday, April 20, 2010

American Idol: Getting to the Final Six

This week's theme, inspirational songs, could have really gone bad like stale cheese. The early report from Buddy TV is that it stank like Limburger. But I disagree, at least in part. As usual I thought Lee killed, and so did Crystal. At the top are my picks for the bottom three moving on toward the best.

But first a word about Alicia Keys as mentor. She seems like a lovely person, but, except in one case, she was was pretty bland. I thought that she gave Siobhan good technical advice leading to a more controlled performance.

7. Aaron Kelly got a good response from the judges for his performance of I Believe I Can Fly by R. Kelly - except for Simon who said that it was a gutsy choice but that he would have turned off the radio. Me too. It was vocally good, but an unconvincing performance of a cheesy song.

6. Casey James gave a lackluster performance of another slice of cheddar, Don't Stop by Fleetwood Mac. At least the lyric fit his goofy grin. And while his body seemed a littler looser, his voice seemed to become stiffer. Casey has talent, but not that much. He could be in trouble this week.

5. Siobhan Magnus
sang When You Believe by Mariah Carey and Whitney Houston, a big bite to swallow. Though her vocals were technically excellent, somehow the performance left me cold. Kara agreed, noting that the song was technically well sung, but not likable. Actually, Siobhan, a former front runner, could also be in trouble this week.

4.
OK. I don't think Michael Lynche will be going home, but I hated his overly dramatic, pandering performance of Hero by Chad Kroeger. The vocals sounded ok, but that is not enough.

3. Based on the judges' and Buddy TV reaction, I should have put Tim Urban in the bottom three. But I actually liked his rendition of the Goo Goo Dolls' Better Days. I like the song, I like the Goo Goo Dolls, and I liked the way he sang it. Alicia Keys said that it gave her a good feeling, and I agree. I thought it was beautiful and sincere.

2. Crystal Bowersox gave a stunning performance of People Get Ready by the Impressions. It was incredible, but she spoiled it by breaking down in tears at the end. Rather than being a sentimental ploy, as in Big Mike, I think her tears were sincere, and that makes it worse. It was unprofessional to lose it completely like that. That is why she is in second rather than first place in my book.

1. Should I just copy what I have said about Lee DeWyze in previous posts? This was an emotional performance, but with contained emotions. As Alicia said, "You are the boxer." The Boxer is one of my all time favorite songs; I only wish it had been longer.

Don't forget that our American Idol Elimination Contest starts on Thursday April 22 following the Wednesday elimination show. Look for ballots at the AV desk on the first floor of the library. And play to win an ipod shuffle (we're giving away three) or one of ten weekly prizes.


No comments: